What’s Your Sign for Pizza Essay

The three areas or features of ASL which I struggle with the most are effectively using non-manual markers, correctly using ASL structure, and using location signs in the right context.  Throughout my ASL classes taken at BCC, I have been made aware of these weaknesses and have been working to improve on these skills. I feel that the greatest challenge for me when trying to improve in these three areas has been “un-learning” the ways I have become accustom to signing. It is easier, in some ways, to learn something new than to change old habits.

The use of non-manual markers such as facial expression and eye contact are very important in ASL. ASL signs have five basic parts: hand shape, movement, location, palm orientation, and non-manual markers. Different signs may have the same part. Parts are important because a change in one part may create a difference in meaning.  Non-manual markers are specifically used to convey the degree or intensity of emotion as well as help establish whether or not the sign is in the form of a question or a statement. For example, the sign “not yet” usually requires the signer’s mouth to be open and the tongue to be slightly out. “When pieces of a language are responsible for a difference in meaning in this way, they are said to be contrastive.” (Lucas, Bayley & Valli 2003, p.12)  I have noticed that when I communicate with my sister who is Deaf, I apply non-manual markers and make eye contact. In my ASL classes however, I have often been given feedback from professors and peers suggesting that this skill needs improvement. I believe my lack of facial expression and eye contact stems from my shy nature.  To improve on my usage of non-manual markers I have and will continue to make an effort to socialize with native signers to enhance my level of comfort.

The second area which I consider to be a weakness in my Sign Language ability is my ASL structure. I tend to sign in English word order (PSE) rather than in ASL.  ASL is a language in which pronouns are often un-necessary. “The verb in a sentence may be accompanied by a pronoun, but the pronoun may also be left out.” (Lucas, Bayley & Valli 2003, p.19)    An example of a pronoun being used or absent form a sentence in ASL can be detected in the sentence “I want” The “I” is not necessary here, it is understood that the signer is the one wanting. If the sentence were “do you want?” than the signer would typically sign “want” (using non-manual markers indicating it is in the form of a question) and then point to the person the question is being directed to.  This is an example of syntactic variation.

Another way ASL differs from PSE is by using classifier predicates in place of the prepositions used in English.  I have found that I struggle with this concept of word order and set up in ASL sentences. For example, when signing the sentence “The cat is on the table.” I will often sign it word for word when it should be signed “cat, table” and then use a hand shape and movement that shows the cat is on the table.  To improve on this ASL skill I will study the use of classifiers and when signing try not to think of the phrase or sentence in English while conversing in ASL.

Finally using location signs in the correct context is something that I have had issues with.  By location signs I am referring to signs indicating distance and direction such as “right around the corner”, “way over there”, “right down stairs” etc… Showing direction and distance in ASL is usually shown by pointing in a specific direction as well as using non-manual markers and out stretching your arm or keeping it close to your body. I tend to leave out non-manual markers and use the same signing space for every location I am describing. This tendency to use the same range of signing space and have no facial expression is confusing to the person or people I am signing to. Without these two parts in my ASL it is un clear if the location being described is near or far, right around the corner or around the corner a ways away, just over the hill or simply over the hill. To improve on this skill I practice describing locations in a mirror so that I can see my facial expression and see if I can understand the exact location and distance I am signing.

To become more skilled in these three areas of ASL, I plan to seek out native ASL users and sign with them. I believe chatting with Deaf people will be the most effective way to improve on all these skills and will allow me to receive feedback from them to know if my ASL is improving as well as be made aware of any other areas of ASL which I may be weak in.